The Q&A Archives: Geese, and there droppings.....

Question: I live in a mobile home park that is overrun with Geese. They love my lawn and It's getting to where there is more Geese droppings in my yard than grass. Is there something that I can do to keep them out of my yard? I built a small fence from the pond area to my yard but they just fly over it. Help.. My lawn is dying and the Geese fertilizer is not helping it any.
I don't want to buy a gun - Just Kidding - but I'm ready to try anything now. Please Help If You Can.

Answer: I've endured similar experiences with Canada geese so you have my sympathy. I wouldn't recommend getting a gun, but a small, loud dog would certainly scare the geese away. The following techniques may be used to harass geese, where safe and legal to do so. However, some may not be legal in all areas. Check local ordinances and laws before using techniques indicated with an asterisk (*).

Noisemaking Devices:
Air horns or whistles
Blank pistols *
Recorded distress calls

Visual Devices:
Motion sensor lights
Flags or eye spot balloons (shiny mylar balloons on strings anchored to the ground worked wonderfully for me!)
Dead goose or predator decoys
Mylar tape
Dogs ? used to chase or run geese off

High Pressure Water Spray Devices:
As contrary as it may sound, geese do not like being sprayed with water under high pressure.
Garden hose or sprinkler
Motion activated sprayer

Chemical Repellents:
Chemical repellents can be applied directly to the problem area and do not harm the geese. Disadvantages of chemical repellents are high cost and having to reapply them frequently. They are most effective on small areas. Some repellents may be restricted use and must be applied by a certified applicator:
Methyl anthranilate (ReJeXiT, Bird Shield) ? makes the grass unpalatable to geese

Hope some of these suggestions help.