The Q&A Archives: Raised bed gardening

Question: I am thinking of doing my whole garden in raised beds. The ground we have is not real good. What do you suggest to prepare dirt? What kind of boards should I use for the raised beds. Do you need to put down a weed barrier paper underneath? I think I would like to do this. Is this a good idea? I need to go the cheapest way possible on materials, but still want it to stand up. Do you need to treat wood?

Answer: Here's a website with photos and sketches of raised beds:

Once you've read the information you'll have a better idea of how to construct raised beds and what materials to use. It isn't necessary to put weed barrier down, nor is it necessary to use wood - you can simply mound up the soil, tapering it at the edges. If you're purchasing soil to fill the beds, order a 3-way mix. It will have compost, sand and garden soil which is a perfect growing media for raised beds.

Best wishes with your project!