The Q&A Archives: Grass seed type?

Question: Our home sits on 4 acres. The back 2 acres is basically a field, but the 2 acres the house sits on I would like to cultivate a little more. I would like to sow grass seed but do not know what type. I am looking for a hardy grass seed that will grow dense and can handle allot of summer abuse. We can water some, but it is not feasible to do daily watering. An irrigation system is out of the question due to cost unless we won the lottery which I doubt will happen. Can you help?

Answer: I'd go with native grasses rather than trying to establish turfgrass. Lawns need regular watering, feeding and mowing; native grasses are reasonably trouble-free.

Examples of Warm Season Native Grasses:
Big bluestem 6-7?
Eastern Gama
Little Bluestem
Sideoats grama
Virginia Broomsedge
Buffalograss 6-8?

Cool-Season grasses:
Canada wildrye 4-5?
Virginia wildrye
Western wheatgrass
Creeping red fescue
Junegrass 4-6?

I think you'll find some interesting landscaping ideas on the following website:

Best wishes with your landscape.