The Q&A Archives: Endless Summer Hydrangea

Question: We had a hard winter in 2006-2007. All my Endless Summer Hydrangeas were killed down to the ground. They were advertised as

Answer: This hydrangea is special in that it is able to bloom on both old and new wood. This means it will bloom at the normal time on the old wood from the previous year, then continue blooming later in the season and into the fall on the new growth of the current year. So, if your plant is killed to the ground during the winter it should still be able to bloom somewhat -- but it will start later than normal.

To bloom its best, this plant needs morning sun or bright dappled light all day, evenly moist yet well drained soil, and ample nutrients. Top dressing with compost, and using an organic mulch year round will help feed the soil and also help keep it moister during dry spells. You could also use a general purpose granular or slow release fertilizer in the spring and early summer, following label directions for whatever product you use.

I hope this helps you trouble shoot.