The Q&A Archives: Help I just moved here

Question: I just moved here and would like to plan my landscape and gardens (flowers, mainly) and need help in what is to grow here and what soil and what I can find that is native and will survive, rainy, or dry or wind. We live on a barrier island and have rivers on both sides and the ocean due east of us. Sandy soil, real Florid-y like my husband says. any help would be appreciated.

Answer: Martha,

There are many plants that do well there for you to get to know. So I'll refer you to some great web sites to start you on the process of choosing what you like that is adapted to your region and growing conditions.

Keep in mind that adding compost to the soil improves the water and nutrient holding capacity of a sandy soil. It is a good first start before planting. I also suggest you visit your County Extension Office for free information and assistance in gardening and landscaping. Their contact information is:

3695 Lake Drive
Cocoa, FL 32926
(321) 633-1702