The Q&A Archives: Pesticides on grass

Question: I live in florida and have a new home. my grass just died. I am wondering what kind of pest control do I need to do to prevent this. I know that the sprinkler man told me he could treat the lawn year around if I wanted service. i was wondering if this is something I can do. He also said something about keping the soil balanced. My husband is putting down Patch Perfect and I would like to keep it from dying. Any advice you have would be great...Thank you so much for your time.

Answer: Kimi,

You should hold off on hiring a service just yet. The problem on your turf could be due to a wide variety of things including insects, diseases, damage from turf weed killer, drought, etc. With the only symptoms being that it died I can't tell what the cause might be. I suggest you visit your County Extension Office and get some advice and some of their free material on establishing and caring for a lawn in your area. They have soil testing information and that would be a good place to begin before you start to reestablish a new lawn. They are also the place to go when you first start to see a problem. They can help diagnose problems from samples (get info on how to take a good sample) and photos. Their contact info is:

Pasco County Extension, 36702 State Road 52, Dade City, FL 33525-5198
352-521-4288; 727-847-8177; 813-996-7341, Ext 4288

The following web sites will also be helpful to you:

Good luck with your lawnThanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!