The Q&A Archives: Landscaping Newly Built Home

Question: I plan to landscape my new home and need some suggestions on what to plant, evergreens, dwarf tree, etc.

Answer: Oh my, this sounds like fun! The list of possible plants are huge, but fortunately, there are limiting factors that affect your range of choices: soil type, topography, drainage, exposure (light & wind), and -- your personal taste! The physical limitations are hard to alter, and you sound like a flexible sort, so you'll have plenty to choose from. First, have your soil tested by the county agricultural extension service (ph# 610/391-9840) to determine type and nutrient levels. After that, submit another question through the Q&A page describing your yard, soil type, etc., and your personal leanings - do you want your yard to be a showcase, or sheltered from neighbors? Do you want shade or sun? We'll be glad to help you out when we have more details.