Question: MY tomato garden has been ruined by the stink bugs this year. I've been trying to not use too many chemicals but I think that I'm going to be forced to next year. Can you give me some options as to what to use?

Thanks, Karen

Answer: Karen,

Stink bugs are indeed a problem. You can control them with the following products:
pyrethrins (Natural product that is less toxic), pyrethrin & rotenone (Natural but more toxic), or carbaryl (Synthetic but not so toxic. Sevin is one example).

You might try one of the new products that contain fragrant herbal oils (an example is Bioganic Multi-Insect Killer Lawn & Garden Spray from Green Light). These work to kill many types of insects and may also have some brief repellent properties.

To get better control with a minimum of pesticides on your tomatoes I suggest you plant some other things they like nearby and spray the bugs when they gather on those plants. Some other stink bug attracting plants include bread poppies (they attack the pods after the blooms fall), sunflowers, and cardoon (they attack the bloom buds).