The Q&A Archives: Onion Harvesting

Question: I planted onion sets late fall. The green part is about<br>12" long, green, and starting to bend over. Should I trim these greens back? Or is it best to leave them intact even though they seem to be really big prematurely.

Answer: If you have a lot of onions, dig a few to see how large they are. You can use them fresh, in salads. When onion tops begin to yellow and fall over, it's time to harvest the crops. It's nothing to worry about if some of the green tops are falling over - it's just a response to their height and mass. Just watch for flower stalks and cut them off immediately if they start to form. Otherwise the onion will put all of its energy into developing seeds and not much will be left for you when you harvest.