The Q&A Archives: transplanting from pot to outdoors

Question: More infor please: I sent in a question about transplanting our potted hibiscus plant and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I received an answer. Thank you - But I failed to mention that we want to plant it in our yard, not another pot. When is the best time to do that?

Answer: Glad you are happy with the prompt response but sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to a tropical hibiscus rather than a hardy hibiscus (Rose of Sharon). If you have a hardy hibiscus, you can plant it now as long as you provide some protection from the hot sunshine for a few weeks. Once it becomes established and has adjusted to its new growing spot, it can take full sunshine. Or, you can wait until the weather cools a little before planting it. In this case, no temporary protection will be necessary; late summer and early fall sunlight isn't quite as intense as mid-summer sun.

Hope this answers your question. Be sure to stop by again soon!