The Q&A Archives: evergreen vine

Question: I am looking for a recommendation for a vine to plant to grow on a trellis in the Sacto, Ca area with the following requirements. Please tell me your opinion on what to purchase:
1)lots of beautiful flowers
2)fairly heat tolerant in
3)full sun to part shade
4) and I would like it to stay green in the winter and not turn into a bunch of sticks
5)lastly, we obviously want it to come back easy for the next year and
6) be fast growing!!
Any thing come to mind??! I appreciate your time.

Answer: Evergreen honeysuckle is the first vining plant that comes to mind. Or, consider growing jasmine; these bloom from winter through spring. Favorites include fragrant pinkish white Jasminum polyanthum, pink or violet trumpet vine (Clytostoma callistegioides. All are very vigorous, growing 10 to 20 feet long or more. Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is yet another evergreen choice, this one with fragrant star shaped flowers. Best wishes with your new vine!