The Q&A Archives: Greenleaf Euryops daisy

Question: We just recently bought 2 greenleaf euryops daisy plants and they were doing really well, but now they are thinning out, turning a light green on the tips and drying out. We live in the high desert, with average temps of about 102. We replanted them in pots twice the size of the original containers, with Miracle Gro potting soil, placed rocks below potting soil and there is holes for drainage. They get full sun and we water them daily, because of the heat. What is the secret to a happier, healthier plant?

Answer: Sounds to me as though you are doing everything right and perhaps your plants are just now beginning to show some signs of transplant stress. I don't know that they would need daily watering (check the soil moisture before watering by sticking your finger down into the potting soil; if it's still moist 2" down, they don't need water - if it feels slightly dry, go ahead and water). Aside from transplant stress and perhaps overwatering, the only other thing that might affect them is hot afternoon sunshine directly hitting the pots. The roots can actually bake (or steam if the soil's too wet) when summer sun hits the sides of the pots all day long. If this is the case, try to block the sun's rays with a grouping of other pots or some decorative rocks. I would trim back the affected plant parts to encourage healthy new growth.

Best wishes with your new plants!