The Q&A Archives: peony problem

Question: I think my peony has a disease. The leaves are brown & curled. I know it got a little water logged so I moved it to a place with sandy soil. I cut all the dead leaves off. It's still has a lot of green, and the roots are a little soggy but still look good. Will it recover: What else can I do for it?

Answer: I think only time will tell whether or not your peony will recover from the soggy soil conditions. Root rot is a possibility; verticillium is a disease that is usually fatal to the plant because it infects the vascular system and water uptake is clogged. Now that you've put it in a better draining place, let's hope it recovers. New green growth is a good sign. There's nothing more you can do than you've already done. Water deeply when the top two inches of soil dries out.

Best wishes with your peony!