The Q&A Archives: cat palm

Question: I purchased a 3 ft cat palm at Home Depot yesterday and want to keep it inside. Can you provide tips as to how to keep it healthy in the house? The instructions on the tag only tell how to care for it outside-- I bought it for a second story room that with windows on the west side. CAn westerly windows provide enough light or do I need to move it to another location to keep it healthy?
Thank you,
Nancy Gebhardt

Answer: There are several different types of Chamaedorea cataractarum but a typical lighting recommendation would be about 3000 foot candles. This means moderately bright -- but indirect -- light.(These palms are actually native to rain forests.) Direct west sun would be too intense, but you might be able to filter it with a sheer curtain. Your tree will also need high humidity to stay healthy. Here is more information about palms as house plants you may find helpful.

Good luck with your new plant!