The Q&A Archives: Buganvilia (sp?) plant looks washed out.

Question: My Buganvelia (sp?) is in the ground and about 7 ft. tall. Up until about 4 months ago it produced bright purple flowers. Now they are a dull washed out purple. I use Miracle Gro fertalizer (the shaker type pellets) and it doe snot help. What can I do? I wAs also told that epsom salts works well with these plants but I don't know how much to put on or how to apply it. Thanking you in advance, Pamela Leeson

Answer: Pamela,

The flowers are apparently just aging and about to drop off. Fertilizing won't fix that but if the plant puts on new growth it should be producing new blooms in time that will come out normal again. Sometime the heat has an effect on some flower color causing them to be less intense or a slightly different shade. See if the situation improves on its own in the fall season.