The Q&A Archives: Alternative Lawn

Question: Hello,
I am a homeowner in rural Ohio. I own 4 acres of land, 3 of which is lawn. Even with a large, high-powered mower, it takes 6 hours each week to mow. My lawn is in sections: the 1 acre front, middle (1 acre which surrounds my house), and the 1 acre back behind some woods. I am considering a lawn/grass alternative for the front and back acres. I am trying to learn what my options are. I was wondering if you had any advice? I have heard of things like planting a meadow/wildflowers or also planting ground cover. Any help you could offer is so much appreciated.

Thank you HomeDepot

Answer: I think the least complicated solution is to overseed with native grasses and wildflowers. There are several options, depending upon how tall you want the plants to grow and whether or not you can water the area regularly. Here's a link to a native plant seed supplier with mixes to match nearly every growing condition. Click on each of the offerings they have and you'll learn more about what will and wll not work for each situation you describe.

Best wishes with your landscape!