The Q&A Archives: Too many saplings

Question: We have a chanticlear pear tree in our front yard. We are having a problem with saplings growing under it and we cannot keep it under control. There was mulch under the tree, but now we are trying to turn it into a flower bed. Do you have any tips on how to keep this under control?

Answer: There is a product called Sucker Stopper which claims to stop suckers from growing from fruit tree rootstock. You prune the sucker and then paint the product on the fresh cut. The label says it "inhibits vegetative bud development". I suppose if you paint it on the cut end of a sucker that the product will travel within the root of the tree and stop additional suckers from forming. I've never tried this product, but it might be worth trying. To order, call (559) 499-2100 or buy online at