The Q&A Archives: Ag in the Classroom

Question: I am compiling an elementary school teaching unit, for "Ag in the Classroom," in which l'll use gardening as an example for demonstrations. I am looking for references and/or teaching material. Your input and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Earl Cosma Elk Grove, CA

Answer: National Gardening Association has a variety of materials for teaching science using classroom gardens. The GrowLab program includes a curriculum guide, classroom gardening guide, and newsletter. The Growing Ideas catalog contains "Teaching Tools to Help Young Minds Grow" including a variety of books, videos, classroom garden units, and posters. Call 1-800-538-7476 for more information. The national program called "Ag in the Classroom," run by the USDA, should also provide you with further resources. They can be contacted at (202) 720-7925..