The Q&A Archives: How to care for indoor plants

Question: I have different house plants of which most of them the tip of the leaves look dry (they turn yellow, then brown). I keep cutting the dry part, but it keeps coming back even on new foliage. What do I need to do so my plants (ie. lilly and majesty palms) look nice and green all the time?

Answer: There are a couple of things that can cause the browning leaf tips. If your water has chlorine and/or fluoride in it, this can account for the discoloration. Some plants are more sensitive to this than others. Another possible cause is dry indoor air. You can counteract this by setting a humidifier in the room or by setting your potted plants on a gravel filled tray in which you keep a half-inch of water. As the water evaporates, it will increase humidity in the immediate vicinity of the plants. Inconsistent soil moisture can sometimes cause these symptoms, as well. Try to keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy wet. Improving as many of these conditions as possible should result in better looking houseplants.

Best wishes with your plants!