The Q&A Archives: Lost foliage from shrubs

Question: I have several shrubs that greened out this spring, but since have lost all their foliage. One did it just recently in about a weeks time. Does this have anything to do with our weird spring in this area? What should I do?

Answer: If a plant leafed out and then dropped all its leaves, it could be the result of a late frost, or it may indicate soggy soil. Leaves dessicated by cold weather will turn brown and drop; leaves affected by saturated soil will remain green but drop suddenly. It might be worth your while to dig the plant up and check the root system. Root rot will be evident, as will soggy soil. If the roots look healthy (no mushy parts, no odor) replant the shrub and wait for it to leaf out again.

Hope your shrubs make it!