The Q&A Archives: bugs in soil of plant

Question: what can I use to get rid of little grayish whitish gnat type bugs that aren't flying yet and are throughout my plants soil?

Answer: I'm assuming these are indoor houseplants. It sounds like fungus gnats. Adult flying gnats lay eggs that hatch into the maggots that consume organic matter. They typically aren't harmful, but annoying to have flying around indoors. The gnats prefer moist soil conditions, so wait until the top of the soil has dried out before watering your houseplants. If you're growing plants that require constantly moist soil, place an inch or two of decorative rocks on the soil surface to keep the gnats from accessing the soil to feed and breed. You might also scrape the top inch or two of soil and replace it with fresh soil, then add the surface mulch. Good luck!