The Q&A Archives: 'Old Gold' Sedge (Carex) cold hardiness

Question: Today I purchased 12 'Old Gold' Sedge (Carex) from HDepot. The plastic tag that sticks into the dirt says -30 to -20 Degrees F hardiness as well as medium water use. I came home and looked on the internet for more information. It seems that this is the same as Carex hachijoensis Evergold. It likes moist soil and goes down to zone 7. I am in zone 5b. Can I believe this Home Depot tag on this Hines Nursery grown plant?

Answer: Your plant is not Carex hachijoensis, but Carex morrowii var. aureo-variegata. Your plant, the dwarf variegated Japanese Carex called 'Old Gold' is more widely banded yellow than 'Variegata' but some plants under this name are not distinct and therefore there can be some confusion. Carex morrowii 'Old Gold' is hardy to USDA zone 5 and should be just fine in your garden.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"