The Q&A Archives: Ivy vs. mosquitos

Question: I have moved from a home which had lots of English ivy and lots of mosquitos. Our new house is not landscaped, and has NO mosquitos. It's only three blocks away from the other house. I'm wondering if ground cover like English Ivy breeds
mosquitos and if there is another ground cover which might be more effective in the fight.

Lots of ground to cover on a creek lot!

Answer: Claire,

Most plant materials provide mosquitos a place to hide and rest during the day. They typically like a shaded are with shrubs or groundcovers. I would not say that ivy itself is particularly appealing to them. Years where there is lots of rain provide breeding grounds and increased problems with mosquitos. The following web site will provide you more information. Good luck in your new home!