The Q&A Archives: killing ivy in ice plant

Question: I have ice plants covering my hill side. They are infected by ivy plants. Is there a way of killing only ivy plants and not the ice plants? Is there a product out there that I can buy?

Answer: I'm not aware of a product that will kill ivy but not ice plants. Ivy is difficult to eradicate with herbicides because the underground roots store lots of energy. When you cut the tops down, the roots simply develop more shoots. Digging the ivy out, roots and all is about the only thing that you can do to eradicate the ivy. You might try cutting individual ivy stems and treat them with Round-Up. If you're careful you can paint full strength Round-Up on the ivy stems which should be translocated to the roots and kill them off - but if you touch the ice plants with the herbicide, it will kill them, too. An alternative would be to remove everything from the hillside and then replant the ice plant.

Wish I had a better solution for you!