The Q&A Archives: hydrangea's[blooming issues]

Question: How do I get my hydrangea's to bloom again? I have different types, a japanese type, climbing
etc. but these still have not bloomed for me. A couple did when I first planted them. But for many
years all I have gotten has beautiful foilage. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated. Thank you, Brenda Wisniewski.

Answer: One of the most common reasons for them not to bloom is that they have pruned at the wrong time and the blooming wood has been removed. (They bloom on the wood from the previous year.) Another very common reason is winter damage. If they are in an exposed location, subject to excessive wind, or in a cold microclimate the blooming wood will be killed each winter and this will result in no blooms. The important question is did they bloom for you after they had been in the ground for a year? If they were blooming when you planted them but have not bloomed since, they may not be getting enough sunshine (4-6 hours), or they are dying back each winter and there is no old wood on which new flowering shoots can develop. I hope this helps you troubleshoot the problem.