The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Shade Tree

Question: I want to plant an evergreen shade tree to the side of my two story house.This side faced west. I like Magnolias, but they take to much time to grow tall. What do you recommended to me?

Answer: Jose,

There are not a lot of large evergreen shade trees to choose from. You might want to consider live oak. With fertilizing and watering regularly during dry times you can get them to grow quite rapidly. I would fertilize it in early March and again in late April, early June and late July. Each time give it about a cup of a fertilizer (with a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio of nutrients) per inch of trunk diameter (measure diameter about a foot off of the ground). Spread this beneath the branchspread of the tree and about 1/3 past the outer branch spread. Water it in well. Mulch the tree in as wide an area as is practical to reduce competition. Water it during the growing season with a good soaking every week or two when it does not rain, allowing it to dry out a bit between waterings.