The Q&A Archives: my wisteria has never bloomed. i can not move it.

Question: i have a wisteria that i planted when i first moved into my home over 13 years ago. it is planted in the front yard facing southwest. it was only approx a foot when i first bought it and planted it. at first,i just thought that it was too young and small and just needed time to mature, but now has inter-twined with my iron railing around my front porch and is huge and would be impossible to move. every year in the fall, the leaves fall off/normal, and in the spring starts new leaf growth, but has never blossomed. it gets plently of sun from about 2:00pm till sunset. it grows all around the railings, pillars and along the border of the roof of my front porch. it has a place to hang the foilage, but never flowers. i have fertilized, mulched, made sure that no animals dig around that area and has never been infected with anything, but yet no blooms. i think that if i were to try and move it/replant maybe in an even more sunny spot, and built a hortazailed trellis, it would just not make it.

help! what can i do? what would you recommend? i love all of the foilage that i do get from it and it gives me a lot of privacy from where it grows from the railing onto the lattice and onto the pillars on my front porch. the lattice is verticle from pillar to pillar and i have seen it flower and could flower from either side of the lattice either in the complete sun, as it sets or on the inside of the lattice in the shade facing the inside of the porch, but doesn't.

i have run out of options.

thank you,

sandra howell
erie, pa 16508