The Q&A Archives: grapevines

Question: I have a grapevine that is probably about 25 or more years old. The county will be doing some work in the area that it is located so I have to either transplant it or it will be lost. Can I transplant a vine that old and if I can, how do I do it?

Answer: You should be able to dig and transplant a majority of the rootmass with at least some degree of success. Mid-summer isn't the best time to do it so if you have a choice, wait until this fall. Begin by cutting everything down to a manageable size. then dig about 3' all around the base, about 2' deep. You should be able to ease the plant out with a rootmass of 3 x 2' and replant elsewhere in the garden. Water deeply after the transplant and keep your fingers crossed. If the roots are healthy, they should establish and you should see new growth next sprin. Hope so!