The Q&A Archives: tREE problem

Question: I purchsed eight flowing cherry trees from home depot march 2007 and they have been growing great. I put miracle grow around the base of the tree every 14 days and water every three days (except when it rains) my problem is the leaves have tiny litte holes and the are turning brown. They get new leaves and they do the same thing. I have a pear tree and it is done this every year and it is about 7 years old. Is the heat or some sort of pest or fungus and how can I treat them if so

Answer: Patricia,

It is either a shothole fungus or bacteria, or possibly a small beetle eating the hole. Take note for a few weeks if you see brown spots that then fall out and become holes (disease) or if the holes just suddenly appear (beetle). Then we can prescribe an appropriate remedy if one is needed. Most of the disease related possibilities do not warrant spraying on that tree. Just keep the thing vigorous and happy with water and a little fertilizer and it will be fine.