The Q&A Archives: Planting/caring for mini rose plant

Question: I just purchased a few mini-rose plants, and I would like to know how to care for it. Must it be kept indoors or outdoors? If planting outdoors in my garden, do they need to be brought indoors when freezing temperatures occur, or can they withstand it?

Answer: Miniature roses grown on their own roots are generally very cold hardy and can do quite well planted in the garden. They will need the same conditions as other roses in the landscape: full sun or at least a half a day of direct sun, evenly moist yet well drained soil, good air circulation, and a layer of organic mulch about three inches deep over their root area year round. Since August is a terribly stressful time of year for planting you might want to keep them in their containers in a place with full morning sun and then plant them in early September. Take care not to let them dry out. Enjoy your mini's!