The Q&A Archives: Marigolds

Question: Looking for a quick and easy plant to fill in around the edges of our patio-just for this year (they'll leave about a 1-2 foot space around entire patio and we're planning a July 25 Christening party). Thought Marigolds would be great for this and their "repelling" of bugs, but was wondering what types of Marigolds are available. Would like something full, rounded if possible-like the more red colors and not orange/yellows. Can you suggest any good seed varieties and when I should start them for mid-July flowering?

Answer: Burpee has MANY, MANY marigolds...19+ varieties in the 1998 offering. I love the 'Disco Mix', it has reds, yellows, oranges, and maroon/gold bicolors. Though not a red, I really like 'French Vanilla' and 'Snowdrift' varieties, they have big 3" ball shaped blooms. If you are interested in checking out those varieties, contact Burpee at 1-800-888-1447. Marigold seed germinates in 7-21 days, you shouldn't start them indoors in earlier than 6-8 wks. before the last expected frost date for your area (check with your county extension service for an exact date, or call a local weather bureau or TV news weather dept.)