The Q&A Archives: Is Gardenia Jasminoides 'Aimee' a good choice for Privacy Shrubs ?

Question: Hello, we are looking for fast growing, thick, green leafy shrubs to plant on two sides of our house for privacy purpose. Someone suggested both Gardenia Jasminoides 'Aimee' and Waxleaf Ligustrum, we like the fact that both plants bloom fragrant white flowers, but not sure which one serves better for our needs. We'd appreciate you advice and any other suggestions. Thanks, Mark

Answer: Although I'm partial to the fragrant flowers of gardenia, these plants can be difficult to grow. If the soil, drainage, sun exposure and temperatures aren't just right, they can look thin and sparse and not flower well. On the other hand, if they like their growing spot, they can be fantastic. Since your main goal is a privacy hedge, I'd recommend the waxleaf privet. Privet is a vigorous grower, very adaptable to soils and watering, and have the added bonus of beautiful flowers. It can be sheared without compromising its beauty, has thick, dense foliage and is perfect for a privacy hedge.

Best wishes with your new hedge!