The Q&A Archives: Planting Primulas

Question: I recently received some Primulas (primroses) from what I had thought to be a reliable gardening company. They came as 6" woody sticks, with no planting instructions. Is this the way they should appear, and if so, how should they be planted?

Answer: The Primrose (Primula) is a diverse group of plants which are most frequently propagated by division. I suspect that your "sticks" are actually divisions which should be planted, root side down, in fairly rich, acid soil in a shaded area, and watered well. Once they have rooted and established themselves, they require little care. They will need dividing every 2-3 years. If they are left too long, and not divided, they will quit blooming. The primrose likes cool temperatures and blooms best in late winter or early spring.