The Q&A Archives: Bag Worms

Question: Help! I've got bag worm son some of my evergreen shrubs. They have already killed one and ar fast working on the others. Is there any way to get rid of these at this point? They number in the thousands I'm sure.
I had never seen them before and had no idea of the damage they would cause when I first saw them.

Thank you so much!

Answer: Bagworms are difficult to control because they are protected within their little bags. Most control measures should begin in the early spring when the larvae are actively feeding. At this time of year they are hiding in their protective bags.

You can use one of the following products for bagworm control now but I think you'll need to plan a second spray next spring when the larvae are actively feeding:
acephate (Orthene), bifenthrin (Talstar), carbaryl (Sevin), chlorpyrifos (Dursban), cyfluthrin (Tempo), diazinon, dimethoate (Cygon), malathion, nicotine sulfate, pyrethrum, permethrin (Pounce), rotenone and trichlorfon (Dylox, Proxol). Be sure to apply according to label directions.