The Q&A Archives: Rose Chafers

Question: I discovered a strange looking insect on my Apple trees. With some investigation I discovered they were Rose Chafers. I sprayed the trees and controlled them somewhat but they live in the ground. Is there any way to get rid of them or at least reduce the numbers? They are eating my roses also. I have used Pyola from Gardens Alive and this has helped but I think a daily dose is required.

Answer: It is very important to correctly identify a pest before trying to treat for it. I would be a little surprised if this is a case of rose chafers attacking your apple tree. Please contact your local Cornell cooperative extension for assistance in identifying the pest accurately and then based on knowing that, determining how to proceed. If it is something that needs to be controlled, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when to use it for maximum results. They can also help you develop a care and maintenance plan, including a regular spray schedule, for your trees. Best of luck with your trees!