The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas bloom beautifully in spring then lose color

Question: I have several hydrangeas. Some in clay, some in rich black soil. The bloom in spring with vibrant colors, then the color fades and the flowers turn a greenish color or grayish tint. There is no color for the rest of the year. I fertilize them with cow manure. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't they keep color throughout the summer?

Answer: Hydrangea blooms do age and as this happens, they fade so you won't see the brilliant color for more than about 3 weeks. Typically, though, they open their flowers in stages so that you'll usually have different sizes of flowers in the process of opening and maturing. I would clip off the flowers as they age. This will promote new blooms and the aging ones won't detract from the rest of the plant.

Best wishes with your garden!