The Q&A Archives: How to stop roots from growing and sending up new shoots.....

Question: I'm trying to cultivate a flower bed in which I want to plant some arborvitaes. As I started digging, I've discovered huge roots and many smaller roots growing throught my flowerbed. I can cut them out, but how do I stop the roots that I've cut off near the property fence line, from growing again or sending off more shoots. I've had problems with lots of shoots appearing in the lawn area too. This is a large brushy type tree about 12-15' tall.
Thank you for your help, Esther

Answer: Once you've cut the roots off they will probably callous over and stop sending out new shoots. To make sure they don't invade again, you may want to place a barrier along the property line. If the tree is shallow rooted, you can pour a concrete footing along your side of the property line to stop the roots. Dig a trench 12-18" deep and 4-6" wide and fill it with concrete.

Good luck with your landscape.