The Q&A Archives: how to prevent soil erosion

Question: I have a new retaing wall with a very large hill
on top of it, i've planted juniper blue rugs hoping to stop the soil from coming down, but for
the past 2 rain storms 've been unsucessful. is there anything a can place on dirt to keep it in

Answer: There are several things you could try. One would be to cover the soil with burlap and pin it down. Another would be to layer mulch on the soil surface. Another approach would be to install baffles or terrace the hillside to slow the water running down. You might also check the drainage pattern at the top of the hill to make sure there is no extra water being diverted to it. If the hill is truly large and steep, I would suggest you consult on site with a professionally trained landscape architect with experience in similar situations to see if there is any thing else you can do to assure the slope remains stable and safely in place.