The Q&A Archives: tomato blight

Question: Every year I try tomatoes and no matter what happens, I get the blight. New plot, pinching blighted leaves, spacing the plants--nothing makes any difference. We just moved and I am getting ready to make a new garden plot. What can I do to discourage the blight in my new garden?

Answer: It is really important to use disease resistant tomato varieties. Look for the letters such as V,F,N,T and so on the seed packet or plant tag. This can go a very long way in reducing or eliminating many problems. The cultural approaches are also important, as you mentioned, so keep up the good work. Be sure to rotate your tomato plantings once you start the new garden. Avoid handling the plants when they are wet. When you water, avoid wetting the foliage. Staking the tomatoes and mulching will help reduce splashing and potential spread of disease. Adding good quality compost to the soil can also help by providing healthy soil. Finally, clean all your tools and equipment thoroughly using a solution of nine parts bleach and one part water. I hope this helps.