The Q&A Archives: Citrus plants

Question: I have a few questions, but they are almost all about citrus plants.

About me: I live in North Texas (Zone 8 according to this website)

1. can a lime tree, myer lemon tree, orange tree, bananna tree, and a pineapple plant be grown in large containers and brought in for winter then outside for summer, and still produce eddible abundant fruit?

2. If I use the top to a pineapple fruit, and put in water with root stimulator until roots develop, then plant, will it produce eddible friut every year?

3. If yes to question 1 or 2, what are some good varieties to use that are available in my area?

Answer: Zone 8 is iffy for even the hardiest of citrus, so your idea of planting in containers and overwintering indoors is a good one. I'd choose dwarf varieties so they will remain a more manageable size throughout their lives. Here are a few recommendations:
Meyer's Lemon: bears large, sweet lemons almost year round.

Dwarf Bearss Seedless Lime: large fruits ripen in winter and early spring, established plants can be everbearing.

Minneola Tangelo: a grapefruit and tangerine cross, winter through spring ripening fruit.

Kaffir Lime: leaves and zest are used in Thai recipes, very fragrant leaves and unusual fruit.

Owari Satsuma Mandarin Orange: seedless, juicy fruit produced in winter and early spring, hardiest of all the mandarins.

All should produce fruit on an annual basis.

You can root the top of a pineapple and have it grow into an attractive plant, but it probably won't produce edible fruit. If it does, the fruit will be quite small - mostly skin and core. But, it might be worth a try!