The Q&A Archives: Rose of Sharon/Aphrodite has not bloomed after initial planting

Question: Rec'd. & planted above on5/13/07 and after initial blooming, it has not blossomed during the summer as suggested. Ive watered regularly and fertilized occassionally, but still no flowering.

Answer: I expect you'll see some flower buds forming within the next few weeks. If you planted in mid-May and your plant needed 3-4 weeks to adapt to its new growing environment, it should have begun new growth in July and that new growth should begin to produce flowers. Hold off on fertilizer for now - you don't want to encourage lush new growth at the expense of flowering. Continue to water on a regular basis and I suspect you'll be rewarded with flowers at the end of the growing season.

Next spring your plant will be well established and should flower reliably from spring through late summer.