The Q&A Archives: How can I get rid of Crab grass?

Question: I have a lot of grab grass in one particular spot. I have put new soil and planted new seed. For some reason the good seed turns into this ugly crab grass. How can we get rid of it. Where can I call to test my soil? Is there a charge?

Answer: You can use Scotts? Turf Builder? With Halts? Crabgrass Preventer to prevent crabgrass and provide feeding to your lawn. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

There is a fee for soil testing through private labs. The fees begin at 15-25 dollars. You can contact your local Cooperative Extension office for a list of recommended labs. Here are a few suggestions:
Western Agricultural Laboratories
1311 Woodland Avenue Suite 1
Modesto, CA 95351
Telephone: (209) 529-4080

Soil and Plant Labs Inc.
PO Box 153, Santa Clara, CA 95052-0153
352 Mathew Street, Santa Clara, CA 95050
Telephone: (408) 727-0330

JMLord, Inc.
267 N. Fulton St.
Fresno, CA 93701
Telephone: (559) 268-9755

Monarch Laboratory
563 E. Lindo
Chico CA 95926
Telephone (530) 343-5818

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Southern Comfort"