The Q&A Archives: Ms. Kims don't flower

Question: Hi,
My two Miss Kims don't flower, and this is the 4th year. The second year I got only one flower on each plant, and now they're about 4 feet tall and very healthy, flowers again this year.
Can I add phosporus and would that help?

Answer: The most common reasons for lilacs not to flower are lack of sunlight, overfertilizing, pruning at the wrong time of year, and with Miss Kim, lack of maturity. In my experience, these little lilacs can take about five years or so to settle in and become established and bloom the way we would like. In the meantime, make sure they are growing in full direct sun all day long, prune only in early summer as needed (prune right after they would normally bloom -- pruning at other times would remove flowering wood or buds), and do not overfertilize. If they are planted adjacent to a lawn area that is fertilized regularly, do not fertilize the lilacs in addition to that. You could top dress with a good quality compost and maintain a layer of organic mulch about three inches thick year round. These will help feed the soil and supply organic matter slowly on an ongoing basis. I hope they bloom for you next year!