The Q&A Archives: Tomato Plant

Question: I have a Tomato plant that I got from my sister. When I got it home, it was almost dead. I started to use miracle grow on it & it came back to life. It started to look really good & it had a lot of yellow flowers on it. I planted it a few weeks later & now it's dying again. This time it doesn't look like it will make it. I planted it in the front yard & I think it's getting too much sun. There are no yellow flowers on it this time. What can I do to help it survive?

Answer: It sounds as though your plant is going through some transplant shock. While you may be able to nurse it back to health, after two near brushes with death, it may never be healthy and productive. Plant cells can be damaged beyond repair when they wilt. I'd strongly suggest you start over with a healthy new tomato plant rather than trying to help your plant regain its health.