The Q&A Archives: how to neutralize sodium in softwater

Question: I have to use soft water for seedling for ten days to two weeks before i can switch to well water . I can do this for a short term basis or can I neutralize the sodium which is about 310.on the salt index. I'm starting about 2,000 seeds

Answer: From a greenhouse and nursery handbook I am consulting:<br><br>I only see information about the effects of hard water on plants--which is, essentially, no effect except on very sensitive plants. There is no information about neutralizing the sodium in soft water. The reference also states that "growers should consider alternative water sources if readings are over 1000 ppm of soluble salts." Since you are well below that range, I would guess that you would be OK for 2 weeks.