The Q&A Archives: Alkaline Soil

Question: My soil has large amounts of alkaline. I don't know the pH. What can I plant? Should I amend the soil in any way?

Answer: Alkaline soil can be improved by the addition of sulfur or peat moss. The exact amount would depend upon a pH test. You can add organic matter to any kind of soil to improve its texture, and water and nutrient-holding capacity. Just spread 4-6 inches of leaf-mold, compost, or peat moss over the top of the bed and dig it into the soil before you plant. If your soil is very alkaline, stay away from acid-loving plants like blueberries, azaleas and rhododendrons. Most plants do best in a soil with a pH rangeof 6.0 to 7.5. Plan to have your soil tested soon so you'll know what steps to take to improve the pH.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"