The Q&A Archives: Roses

Question: My roses bloomed once and have not shown any growth or blooms since the first crop of roses. Why and what can I do to get them to bloom.

Answer: Some of the older rose cultivars flower only once each year so you may have one of these types of roses. If so, it won't flower again until next year. If you know you have a hybrid rebloomer and it is not growing or flowering, it may be struggling to survive in its present location. Roses need full sunshine (8 hours minimum), and rich, loose, well draining soils. They also need to be watered deeply once or twice a week and should be fed (with a rose food) every 4-6 weeks during the growing season. Hope this information helps you determine just why your rose bush is not performing well.