The Q&A Archives: Lilly Pad Look

Question: I have a customer that has a unique plant and i need to know what it is. It is in a shady area in a court yard and it looks just like a tall lilly pad that grows in the dirt? I know it does flower because we had to cut the back but the pad stays year round

Answer: Tommy,

The plant that comes to mind is lotus. This normally grows in standing water but if the area is very moist it may be able to survive there. There is also the lawn weed called Dollar Weed that has that shape of leaf but it is very short and I'm sure not your mystery plant. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office and send them in a digital photo by e-mail or mail them a print photo and with that in hand they should be able to identify it for you. Their contact info is:

Carol Brouwer
County Extension Agent-Horticulture
Harris County Extension Office
3033 Bear Creek Drive, Houston, TX 77084-4233
Phone: 281-855-5600