The Q&A Archives: Weeping Cherry Tree

Question: My tree is touching the ground, I think it looks nice. But OTHER PEOPLE SAY IT SHOULD BE TRIMMED. Do you think the branches are too long, or someone said that it is supposed to look like an umbrella.... Can you help me with this???? Thank you..

Answer: This tree has a lovely natural form. Although some people do trim them to allow for a mower to pass beneath the tree, it is not necessary to do so. The tree actually shades its own roots and helps to keep the soil evenly moist during the heat of the summer. It also means you can leave the ground with a layer of mulch or groundcover rather than grass and avoid mowing beneath it. If you like the look, you certainly don't have to prune it. Ornamental cherries and other prunus are better pruned as little as possible because each cut is an opening for pest or disease. In general, you would want to remove any broken or dead or diseased branches and leave the rest alone as much as possible unless corrective pruning was needed for structural reasons. I hope this answers your question.