The Q&A Archives: High Bush Blueberries

Question: I have a few high bush blueberries and the little red ants seem to like the berries when ripe, What can I do to keep them off the berries?

Answer: I would examine the plants for signs of scale insects before doing anything else. Sucking insects such as scales and aphide exude a sweet substance called honeydew which is a magnet for ants. They feed on this substance and will continue to visit as long as it is present. If you find scale insects you can either peel them off your plant or suffocate them with a summer weight horticultural oil. Once you've eliminated the insects, the ants won't be quite as interested in the blueberry bushes. If you cannot find signs of pests other than ants, ant baits placed at the base of your blueberry bushes should control the pests.